Applications now being accepted for the League's
2020 Bruno Walter National Conductor Preview
Hosted by the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra
April 1 and 2, 2020
Application Deadline: Friday, November 22, 2019 (midnight)
Since 1995, the Bruno Walter National Conductor Preview has showcased 90 conductors, with more than 50 orchestras making conductor/music director appointments as a direct result. Selected participants in 2020 will rehearse a 20-minute program of contrasting repertoire in front of attending search committees – culminating in a free public concert at the Orpheum Theater in New Orleans.
This performance will be streamed live, then be made available online for 45 days for viewing by committees, artist managers, and the general public. Conductors will have the opportunity to network with industry professionals in attendance and to receive feedback and mentorship by Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra musicians. Up to six conductors will be selected.
Notable past participants include: Mei-Ann Chen, music director, Chicago Sinfonietta; Delta David Gier, music director, South Dakota Symphony; Giancarlo Guerrero, music director, Nashville Symphony; Laura Jackson, music director, Reno Philharmonic; and Carolyn Kuan, music director, Hartford Symphony Orchestra.
- All conductors who are current Individual League members in good standing are welcome to apply. Not a member? Join now.
- Applicants are beyond student/ conservatory education, with minimum of two years of paid professional work with an orchestra.
- Applicants are committed to a career in service to American orchestras.
- Applicants are prepared for a staff conducting and/or music directorship position in a major American orchestra.
- Without exception, selected conductors are required to arrive in New Orleans on Tuesday, March 31, 2020 and to participate for the Preview’s entire duration.
- Selected participants are responsible for their own travel and lodging.
Pictured: Lidiya Yankovskaya (K. Munkel)
- Complete the online application form
- Conducting video sample
- Pay $75 application fee
To download a PDF copy of the application guidelines, click here.
Pictured Bruno Walter Conductor Preview Class of 2018 L-R: Lidiya Yankovskaya, Lee Mills, Mélisse Brunet, Raúl Gómez-Rojas, Ankush Kumar Bahl, Nadège Foofat
(Photo Credit: K. Munkel)
The 2020 Bruno Walter National Conductor Preview is made possible by a generous grants from the Virginia B. Toulmin Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.