The Getty Education and Community Investment Grants Program
Notice: The Getty Education and Community Investment Grants program will conclude after 2015-16 grants. Beginning 2016-17, the League is launching an expanded grantmaking program called American Orchestras' Futures Fund supported by the Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation. Learn more about the Futures Fund here.
Congratulations to our 2015-2016 grant recipients!
Twenty-two orchestras from across the United States have been selected by the League of American Orchestras to receive Getty Education and Community Investment Grants.
Intended to help stimulate growth and excellence in education and community engagement programming, the grants will fund orchestras’ long-term in-school and after-school music programs with social development components, as well as orchestras’ health and wellness programs for populations including hospital patients, people with developmental disabilities, homeless mothers, and the families and healthcare providers of these groups.
A total of $425,000 was awarded for this year’s grants, the fourth year of the $2 million re-granting program made possible by the Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation. The orchestras, encompassing a full range of budget sizes, will receive individual grants ranging from $15,000 to $27,500 for a variety of community-based programs taking place during the 2015-16 season. A prerequisite for qualifying orchestras was the existence of partnerships with local community or social service organizations.
Read the press release here.
The 2015-2016 grant recipients are:
Long-term In-School Partnership Programs and After-School Educational Programs
- Allentown Symphony Orchestra, PA, for El Sistema Lehigh Valley
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, MD, for OrchKids
- El Paso Symphony Orchestra, TX, for Tocando
- Empire State Youth Orchestras, NY, for CHIME: Creating Harmony Invigorating Music Education
- Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, IN, for Metropolitan Youth Orchestra
- Juneau Symphony for Juneau, Alaska Music Matters (JAMM)
- Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra, MI, for Kalamazoo Kids in Tune
- Kidznotes, NC
- Los Angeles Philharmonic, CA, for Youth Orchestra LA (YOLA)
- New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, for NJSO CHAMPS (Character, Achievement and Music Project)
- New West Symphony, CA, for New West Symphony Harmony Project
- Orchestra of St. Luke’s, NY, for Youth Orchestra of St. Luke’s (YOSL)
- San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory, CA, for Community Opus Project
- Seattle Youth Symphony Orchestras, WA, for SYSO in the Schools
- Waterbury Symphony Orchestra, CT, for Bravo Waterbury!
- Yakima Symphony Orchestra, WA, for Yakima Music en Acción (YAMA)
Health and Wellness
- The Grand Rapids Symphony, MI, for Music for Health
- Knoxville Symphony Orchestra, TN, for KSO Music and Wellness
- Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, for Soul Strings
- Ridgefield Symphony Orchestra, CT, for RSO/SPHERE Partnership
- Seattle Symphony, WA, for Lullaby Project
- The Phoenix Symphony, AZ, for The B-Sharp Music Wellness, a W.O.N.D.E.R. Project: Alzheimer’s Expansion Initiative
The Getty Education and Community Investment Grants are made possible by a generous grant from the Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation.