Electronic Media Resources
Glossary: To understand the latest electronic media related terminology, take at look at these websites:
- Billboard.com: has a compendium of terms relating to music and the music industry.
- About.com: Digital Music has a glossary of frequently used terms in digital music.
- HP Digital Music Glossary provides another listing.
Books of Interest: There are two source books with a great deal of information about the music business and the licensing of music for use in electronic media.
This Business of Music
The Definitive Guide to the Music Industry
New 9th Edition
By William Krasilovsky and Sydney Shemel with contributions by John M. Gross
Published by Billboard Books
Retail price: $29.95
Kohn on Music Licensing
By Al Kohn and Bob Cohn
Published by Aspen Law and Business
Comes with a CD –ROM that provides over 60 model contract downloadable forms
Retail Price: $209.00 (from Amazon.com)
Related Articles of Interest:
- “Chasing the Long Tail in the Performing Arts,” by Joseph H. Kluger, an article that summarizes the rationale for making electronic media a core part of an arts organization’s activities.
- “ The Last Word on DRM,” by Joseph H. Kluger, an article that discusses the pros and cons of using digital rights management to technology to protect unauthorized copying of content.
- “ Social Media in the Arts,” by Rebecca Krause-Hardie, an article that discusses how arts groups can use social media technology (e.g. YouTube, MySpace).
- “ Taking the Ostrich’s Head Out of the Sand,” by Louis M. Solomon and William M. Hart, an article that discussed some of the legal issues relating to YouTube.
A partial list of electronic media service providers:
League member orchestras with questions for Mr. Bronson and Mr. Kluger, that are not answered here, including the FAQ section, should contact both of them by e-mail: