Welcome to the League, dedicated to helping orchestras meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Orchestras, like many other charitable organizations, are able to serve communities by virtue of their tax exempt status and the deductibility of private donations. Policymakers can increase charitable giving by improving tax incentives such as the IRA Charitable Rollover. Congress should also protect our cultural heritage by permitting artists, writers, and composers to take a fair market deduction for contributions of their own works to museums, libraries and archives. As Congress and the IRS intensify their focus on new accountability requirements for nonprofit governance and administration, the orchestras continues to work in coalition with the greater nonprofit community to weigh in on proposed new rules and regulations.
Contacting Congress is simple and will make a difference. We have prepared three advocacy campaigns with essential background, talking points, and a template letter for you to personalize your communication with policymakers. Please note that identical copies of your letter will go to both of your Senators and your Representative.
TAKE ACTION: TAX & 501(c)3 POLICIES
Protect Charitable Giving Incentives
Reinstate the IRA Charitable Rollover
Revive the Artist Fair Market Deduction
- League Statement Urges Senate Finance Committee to Support Charitable Giving Incentives - (April 15, 2015)
- House Passes America Gives More Act – February 12, 2015
- League and Charitable Giving Coalition Encourage New Members of Congress to Protect Charitable Giving – January 20, 2015
- House Votes on The Supporting America's Charities Act – December 11, 2014
- League and 17 orchestras Join Nonprofit Call to Make Permanent the IRA Charitable Rollover – November 18, 2014
- League and Charitable Giving Coalition Thank Rep. Ryan for Supporting Giving Incentives – September 22, 2014
- 33 Senators Call for Protecting Full Scope and Value of Charitable Deduction – January 23, 2014
- Orchestras Join More Than 1,200 Nonprofits Urging Senate to Protect Charitable Giving in “Blank Slate” Reform – July 25, 2013
- League Urges Preserving Charitable Deduction in “Blank Slate” Approach – July 15, 2013
- League and Charitable Giving Coalition Oppose White House Budget's Cap on Giving Incentives – April 11, 2013
- League Testimony Supports Charitable Giving Incentives – February 28, 2013
- League and more than 900 nonprofit organizations urge President and Congress to preserve charitable deduction – December 10, 2012
- League and Nonprofit Coalition Urge the Administration, Rep. Boehner, Rep. Pelosi, Sen. Reid, and Sen. McConnell to Preserve Charitable Giving Incentives – November 14, 2012
- League Joins Nonprofit Letters to Obama and Romney Campaigns to Preserve Charitable Giving Incentives – October 25, 2012
- League and Charitable Giving Coalition Urge Senate to Maintain Full Value of Charitable Deduction – August 2, 2012
- ARCHIVED KEY DEVELOPMENTS: TAX & 501(c)3 POLICIES