Volunteers are an important resource to the orchestra community. The League thanks them for supporting orchestras everywhere. See below, and in the left hand menu, for all the resources the League has to offer.
- New Webinar! Fundraising Fundamentals: An Introduction to Grassroots Fundraising
- Gold Book Project of the Month
- Volunteer Council
- Resources and Programs
- Other Non-League Resources
League of American Orchestras’ Volunteer Council members, Margarita Contreni and Elaine Cousins, conduct this latest installment of the Volunteer Council’s webinar series. In this webinar they will focus on the fundamentals of fundraising, and the elements required to succeed in fundraising for your home orchestra.
Orchestra volunteers: Need to raise a quick $20,000? Looking for a unique fundraising event? Get out the checkered tablecloths and bibs and have a Lobster Fest Picnic!
Here’s how the Oklahoma City Orchestra League does it:
- Check the Farmer’s Almanac to assist you in finding the perfect evening for an outside picnic.
- Find a supplier to provide fresh whole Maine lobsters (lobsters are cheapest in the fall). FYI, the overnight shipping can cost more than the lobsters.
- Pick a great committee of volunteers to help with all the details (i.e., invitations, wine, table decorations, table and chair rentals, silverware, glasses, paper goods, valet parking, bartenders and thank you notes).
- Find a picturesque outdoor location perfect for steaming hundreds of lobsters.
- Put together a group of musicians from your orchestra who love to perform outdoors and also happen to love lobster.
- Find a chef who can provide the staff and side dishes you need.
- Make sure you have disposable bibs, wet naps, lobster crackers, picks, and placemats that demonstrate how to crack a lobster.
- Send out invitations to the Lobster Fest Picnic and inform guests how the money will be used (i.e., to support the nationally acclaimed Oklahoma City Orchestra League’s music education program, We’ve Got Rhythm).
- Sit back and enjoy a perfect evening of friends, music, wine, and lobsters!
For more information on this Gold Book Award-winning project, visit the Lobster Fest Picnic on Gold Book Online. For other project ideas, visit Gold Book Online and search for projects of interest to you. Gold Book Online is a resource for successful projects dating back to 2005, and facilitates easy networking and information sharing among organizations.
The Volunteer Council and the League of American Orchestras provide leadership skills and assistance to orchestra volunteers through ongoing education and communication.
The Council works as your link to the League, by informing the League of critical volunteer issues and delivering the most pertinent learning and leadership development to your volunteer association.
The Volunteer Council is celebrating 50 years of serving America's orchestras! See the video for some of the highlights of the past 50 years.
The League recognizes and thanks the Volunteer Council and Sustainers for their longtime support of the Annual Fund, Campaign, and National Conference, and in particular for their countless hours providing assistance to volunteers in the field.
- Webinars and other online resources
- GoldBook Online
This is your online source for successful volunteer audience development/community engagement, communication/technology, education, leadership/organizational structure, membership, fund-raising, and service projects.
(Gold Book Preparation Form; Preparation Form to Print)
- Advocacy for Volunteers
An Advocacy Guide for Volunteers from the League’s Advocacy and Government department
- Join a discussion
Stay connected via e-mail discussion groups, courtesy of the League
- League Membership for Orchestra Volunteers
Join the League today!
- Volunteer Bylaws
- Volunteer Notes
The newsletter for Orchestra Volunteers
- Membership Skill Builder
Learn how to recruit, retain and engage members of your volunteer organization.
- Fundraising Skill Builder
Teach your volunteers to be effective fundraisers.
- Association of Major Symphony Orchestra Volunteers
The Association of Major Symphony Orchestra Volunteers (AMSOV) is a networking and support organization for volunteer leaders of major symphony orchestras with top tier budgets in the United States and Canada