FY08 NEA Grants to Orchestras
May 19, 2008, Washington, D.C. – The National Endowment for the Arts awarded 122 grants to orchestras through the Grants for Arts Projects categories in FY2008, totaling $2,822,300. Awards to all arts disciplines through the NEA’s three largest grant categories – Challenge America: Reaching Every Community Fast-Track Review Grants, Learning in the Arts for Children and Youth, and Access to Artistic Excellence – numbered 1,790 and totaled $41.1 million.
Congress allotted $144.7 million in total funding for the NEA in FY2008. In addition to the grants awarded through the Grants for Arts Projects categories, FY2008 funding supports the following:
- Congress requires that 40% of NEA grant funds be made available directly to the states; just over $50.17 million has been awarded through Partnership Agreements to state and regional arts agencies. Orchestras, in turn, benefit from grants at the state and local level
- Support for Arts on Radio & Television included grants to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, and New York Philharmonic totaling $70,000
- FY2008 grants for Save America's Treasures, a partnership of the NEA, the National Parks Service, and other federal agencies totaled $1,089,993 and included a $150,000 grant to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and a $175,000 grant to the New York Philharmonic
- Funding for FY2008 American Masterpieces included a $10,000 grant to the Brooklyn Philharmonic and a $17,500 grant to the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- The NEA provided $1.01 million for Literature Fellowships in Creative Writing in FY2008 and $200,000 in FY2008 support for Literature Fellowships in Translation
- Upcoming FY2008 grants will include awards for Coming Up Taller and the National Heritage Fellowships.
- NEA FY2008 funds are also allocated to national initiatives including the Big Read, Poetry Out Loud, Shakespeare in American Communities, Great American Voices, NEA Jazz Masters, American Masterpieces, Operation Homecoming, and NEA Arts Journalism Institutes
Below is a complete list of grants to orchestras and parent organizations of orchestras. Grants for programs related to the orchestra field are also included. Complete lists of grant amounts and project descriptions for awards in all disciplines and categories may be found on the NEA web site.