FY07 NEA Grants to Orchestras
April 27, 2007, Washington, D.C.—The National Endowment for the Arts awarded 127 grants to orchestras through the Grants for Arts Projects categories in FY2007, totaling $2,647,500. Awards to all arts disciplines through the NEA's three largest grant categories—Challenge America: Reaching Every Community Fast-Track Review Grants, Learning in the Arts for Children and Youth, and Access to Artistic Excellence—numbered 1,725 and totaled $37.6 million.
Congress allotted $124.4 million in total funding for the NEA in FY2007. In addition to the grants awarded through the Grants for Arts Projects categories, FY2007 funding supports the following:
- Congress requires that 40% of NEA grant funds be made available directly to the states; $42.2 million has been awarded through Partnership Agreements to state and regional arts agencies. Orchestras, in turn, benefit from grants at the state and local level.
- Support for Arts on Radio & Television included grants to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Nashville Symphony, and New York Philharmonic totaling $65,000.
- The NEA's FY2007 USArtists International grants totaled $86,600 and support performances of music and dance companies to significant international festivals.
- The NEA provided $1 million for Literature Fellowships in Poetry in FY2007 and $200,000 in FY2007 support for Literature Fellowships in Translation.
- FY2007 grants for Summer Schools in the Arts totaled $680,000 and included a $23,000 grant to the Greater Miami Youth Symphony.
- FY2007 grants for Save America's Treasures, a partnership of the NEA, the National Parks Service, and other federal agencies will be announced soon. Grants support preservation and/or conservation work on nationally significant intellectual and cultural artifacts.
- Upcoming FY2007 grants will include awards for Coming Up Taller and the National Heritage Fellowships.
- NEA FY2007 funds are also allocated to national initiatives including the Big Read, Poetry Out Loud, Shakespeare in American Communities, Great American Voices, NEA Jazz Masters, American Masterpieces, Operation Homecoming, and NEA Arts Journalism Institutes.
The League has compiled the project descriptions for grants to orchestras and parent organizations of orchestras. Grants for programs related to the orchestra field are also included. Complete lists of grant amounts and project descriptions for awards in all disciplines and categories may be found on the NEA web site.