FY06 NEA Grants to Orchestras
April 20, 2006, Washington, D.C. - The National Endowment for the Arts awarded 111 grants to orchestras through the Grants for Arts Projects categories in FY2006, totaling $2,562,000. Awards to all arts disciplines through the NEA s three largest grant categories - Challenge America: Reaching Every Community Fast-Track Review Grants, Learning in the Arts for Children and Youth, and Access to Artistic Excellence - numbered 1,744 and totaled $37.8 million.
Congress allotted $124.4 million in total funding for the NEA in FY2006. In addition to the grants awarded through the Grants for Arts Projects categories, FY2006 NEA funding supports the following:
- Congress requires that 40% of NEA grant funds be made available directly to the states; $42.2 million has been awarded in FY2006 through Partnership Agreements to state and regional arts agencies. Orchestras, in turn, benefit from grants at the state and local level.
- Support for Arts on Radio & Television included grants to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, and San Francisco Symphony totaling $250,000.
- The NEA's FY2006 USArtists International grants included awards the Minnesota Orchestra, The Philadelphia Orchestra, and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.
- The NEA provided $755,000 in FY2006 support for Folk and Traditional Arts Infrastructure and $1 million for Literature Fellowships.
- FY2006 grants for Save America's Treasures, a partnership of the NEA, the National Parks Service, and other federal agencies, totaled $2 million. Grants support preservation and/or conservation work on nationally significant intellectual and cultural artifacts.
- Upcoming FY2006 grants will include awards for Summer Schools in the Arts, Coming Up Taller, and the National Heritage Fellowships.
- NEA FY2006 funds are also allocated to national initiatives including, Shakespeare in American Communities, Poetry Out Loud, Great American Voice, NEA Jazz Masters, American Masterpieces, Operation Homecoming, and NEA Arts Journalism Institutes.
The League has compiled the project descriptions for grants to orchestras and parent organizations of orchestras. Grants for programs related to the orchestra field are also included. Complete lists of grant amounts and project descriptions for awards in all disciplines and categories may be found on the NEA web site.