Jobs available at the League
Thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with the League of American Orchestras. These are the positions that are currently open.
Associate Director of Patron Information
The Member Services Department is not only the gateway for the League of American Orchestras' membership; it is the primary information source for member and patron financial and programmatic activities. The Associate Director of Member and Patron Information is responsible for the efficient operation of the League’s database and the business practices required to support it. S/he is charged with ensuring that this information is accurate, current, and responsive to the needs of its key internal stakeholders: the finance, development and Learning and Leadership Development departments. The Associate Director works with senior staff and the Director of Marketing to design member engagement strategies that s/he implements to enhance the League’s value-proposition to its members. This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Member Relations and supervises a staff of three.
- Serve as League’s representative with CRM provider: identify and resolve technical issues, remain current about upgrades and new modules, communicate League concerns.
- Lead implementation of upgrades and/or new modules.
- Maintain library of queries and reports for use by all League staff, identifying information gaps: build and/or join tables to expand data reports.
- Train staff to use reports and queries, utilizing these materials as examples to expand staff capacity to expand upon them for ad hoc questions and reports.
- Devise and implement strategies to utilize new system features that will streamline and improve business practices and internal capacity.
- Ensure the accuracy of all records in the database through the design, implementation and practice of standardized procedures, including reconciliation support with the finance department.
- Establish and maintain monthly schedules for membership renewals, annual fund and pledge payment reminders, and special appeals.
- Working in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and members of the senior management team, develop and implement metrics and initiatives to expand member usage of service and track progress.
- Supervise all aspects of customer support, including member mailboxes, online help desk, and League 360 discussion groups.
- Oversee generation of information and analyses of programs, events, and online learning.
- Work collaboratively with members of all departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required.
BA or greater, with minimum of 5 years experience in database management and prior supervisory experience. Strong knowledge of SQL, relational databases required. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Candidate should possess strong work ethic, service mentality, and solid interpersonal skills, whether by phone, by email or in person, with all levels of staff, members and donors and the general public. Knowledge of Avectra/ NetFORUM a significant plus. Interest in the arts/music preferred, but not required.
Vice President, Strategic Communications
The League of American Orchestras seeks an imaginative, experienced, and energetic Vice President of Strategic Communications to grow and lead a robust communications strategy for this $6 million nonprofit association working on behalf of
The Vice President for Strategic Communications has a unique opportunity to develop and advance dynamic strategies that 1) create national awareness of the significance and value of American orchestras and the music they perform, 2) support the communications interests of member orchestras and their public relations staff members, and 3) advance the communications objectives of the League and its programs.
The Vice President for Strategic Communications is responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive strategic communications program that enhances the public image of American orchestras and supports the activities and image of the League. The Vice President will develop clear, coherent messages, target key audiences and outlets, and leverage the intelligence and experience within orchestras in the formulation and execution of national strategy.
The Vice President for Strategic Communications must:
- Generate opportunities to convey field and League messages through multiple outlets and platforms to media, members, donors, influentials, the arts community and other stakeholders
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage media relationships
- Ensure consistent communication of the League’s messages and images across the organization, and to all constituencies and stakeholders
- Field a high volume of media inquiries concerning both individual orchestras and industry wide trends and developments
- Implement protocols that ensure accuracy, sensitivity, and consultation with appropriate individuals in formulating responses
- Serve as liaison to the Public Relations professionals of member orchestras, facilitating the development of agendas for bi-annual meetings, ensuring ongoing communication, and responding to their needs
- Partner with the CEO in the development of his/her written and spoken communications, including regular columns in Symphony magazine, the Huffington Post, and numerous speaking engagements
- Supervise Symphony magazine and digital communications platforms to ensure alignment with League direction and relevance to member needs.
- Oversee all marketing, communications, and development materials and website for consistent alignment with League messages and images.
- Protect, promote and enhance the League brand
- Anticipate challenges and emerging issues faced by the League and its members. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
The Vice President for Strategic Communications reports to the President and CEO; works closely with the Vice Presidents for Development, Advocacy, and the Directors of Marketing and Membership Development. The VP serves as a member of the senior staff Executive Council where each member is an intellectual thought partner who contributes to and collaborates on the institutional planning for the organization. The Vice President for Strategic Communications together with the VP for Advocacy staffs the League board committee on Public Advocacy and Communications; and staffs the orchestra public relations professionals group. The VP supervises one staff publicist and three print and digital communications staff.
with “Vice President, Strategic Communications” in the subject line.
The League of American Orchestras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.